How your skin looks depends on many factors, including your age, gender, genetics, and how well you take care of your skin. Most of us know by now that strict avoidance of smoking and the daily use of a broad-spectrum sunscreen are a must for a healthy skin.
But an often-overlooked aspect of maintaining a good skin is our diet. What we eat and drink does affect how our skin looks. Here are a few tips for helping your skin look its best:
1. Stay hydrated. Adequately hydrated skin cells reward us with enhanced health, increased energy, and a radiant complexion. Dehydrated skin over a period of time can become dry and wrinkled.
2. Minimize alcohol consumption. Alcohol will make you dehydrated and could make your skin look dull and lifeless.
3. Avoid saturated fats, but don’t avoid fats altogether. In fact, healthy fats, such as the omega-3 fatty acids, are incredibly important and may help to prevent dry, patchy skin. Studies have found that people whose diets were high in these fatty acids had less skin wrinkling than those with diets high in saturated fats.
4. Get enough protein. Foods high in protein, such as Voskos Non-Fat Greek Yogurt, are good for our skin because we need protein to repair our cells. Women in particular often do not have protein-adequate diets, and this can result in accelerated aging.
5. Get enough B Vitamins. Deficiencies in B vitamins, particularly B6, B12, biotin and niacin can cause dermatitis, skin hypersensitivity, and dry skin. B vitamins are found in whole grain, green leafy vegetables, meats, fish, eggs and milk.
6. Get plenty of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful anti oxidant, and a necessary component in the formation of collagen.
7. Want to combine as many of these nutrients as possible in a single meal? Mix 8 oz Voskos Greek Yogurt with a cup of fresh berries and a handful of walnuts, and accompany your meal with a tall glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. This meal is low in saturated fats and high in protein, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium and vitamin C.
8. Eating Voskos Greek Yogurt has an added bonus: it contains five live and active multibacterial strains, which means that each 100 gram serving of Voskos Greek Yogurt contains billions of live and active bacterial bases. These help maintain gut flora and boost immune system functioning and nutrient absorption, all essential to a healthy skin and body.